How to tell if you're a carer

You’re a carer if you’re looking after someone regularly because they’re ill, elderly or disabled – including family members.

Carers help with:

  •      washing, dressing or taking medicines
  •      Getting out and about and travelling to doctor’s appointments
  •      Shopping, cleaning and laundry
  •      Paying bills and organising finances

 They can also give emotional support by:

  •     Sitting with someone to keep them company
  •     Watching over someone if they can’t be left alone.

Benefits for carers: 

You might not think of yourself as a carer. But you probably are if you’re looking after someone regularly, including your spouse or a family member, because they’re ill or disabled. As a carer, you may be entitled to one or more state benefits to help you with the costs.  

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is the main state benefit for carers. It’s £64.60 a week. You can get it if you look after someone for more than 35 hours a week.

You get more than £64.60 a week from some other benefits. But it’s still worth applying as you may have what’s called an underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance. This can help increase other benefits you’re getting.

How to claim Carer's Allowance

Carer’s Credit

Is a National Insurance contribution to help make sure you don’t lose out on some social security benefits, such as State Pension, because of gaps in your NI record.

You can get it if you look after someone for more than 20 hours a week and you don’t get Carer’s Allowance.

How to claim Carer's Credit

Carer Premium

Is an allowance you get on top of some benefits. You can get it if you already get a benefit, such as Income Support or Housing Benefit.

How to claim: ask about it at your local Jobcentre Plus or Jobs and Benefits Office.

Disability Living Allowance for children

You can get it if you’re the parent carer of a disabled child. You can get between £22.65 and £145.35 a week.

How to claim Disability Living Allowance for children

Get a care’s assessment

As a carer, you may be eligible for support from your local council. Before you receive any help from your local council, you need to have a carer’s assessment.

Find out how to get a carer's assessment

Worcestershire Association of Carers - Working for Carers : Working for  Carers

Carers Hub and Helpine

Worcestershire Carers Hub is supported by Worcestershire County Council and Hereford and Worcestershire Clinical Commissioning Group. The Hub supports unpaid adult carers across the County and builds on Worcestershire Association of Carers current provision, by providing a one stop shop for carers. 

The services that they provide include:

Carer Pathway Advisors

Health and Social Care Engagement and Community & Partnerships

Carer training

Listening Ear

Carer Talk time

Carer Groups

Contacts: 0300 012 4272 / /

The helpline is open Monday - Friday 9am - 7pm, Saturday 9am - 12 noon.

Useful links / Information for Carers:

Am I a Carer?

Emergency Planning

End of Life Support

Information for Carers

Carer Training

Mental Health Support

Carer Wellbeing

Carer Support Groups

Carer Representatives

Learning Disabilities

Building Health Partnerships: Self Care Project

Upton Carers Group:


Upton Surgery

Tunnel Hill


WR8 0QL, Worcester


Who’s it for?

  • Adult, unpaid carers


The carer groups run by Worcestershire Association of Carers are a chance to: take time out for one’s self; meet with other carers who understand what caring is like; share information; make friends and chat. There are a number of informal, friendly groups for carers in locations throughout the county. Each group is run “by and for” carers so they are free to choose what activities, speakers, information sessions they would like to have, or choose to just meet for a coffee and a chat.


Due to the recent outbreak of Coronavirus, all carer groups are currently cancelled. Please do not turn up to a carer group run by Worcestershire Association of Carers.



Email this service:

Visit this site:

Caring for someone with dementia

You may be supporting a partner, friend or family member. You may or may not see yourself as ‘caring for’ them, or think of yourself as their ‘carer’.

Supporting someone with dementia can be a rewarding experience, giving you an opportunity to help someone who is important to you and learn new skills. But we also know that it may be very challenging at times.

Download here the Caring for a person with dementia: A practical guide.

Young Carers

If you're a young carer, friends and relatives are often the first people to turn to for help with problems. Talking things through with them can be really helpful.

If you find it hard to talk to others, try to write your thoughts in a diary, poem or letter first. This can help to make sense of your thoughts and how you feel, before getting help.

Missing school

You may feel you have to miss school to care for someone. But missing school can affect your whole future. Try to get help as quickly as possible so the situation does not go on for a long time.

A GP, nurse, social worker or another person whose job is to help the person you look after can organise more support at home to help you concentrate on school or college.

Are you being bullied?

Bullying can include being deliberately left out of activities or groups, as well as being called names, hit, kicked, punched or threatened.

Young carers are sometimes bullied because the person they care for is ill or disabled, or because they cannot always do the things other young people can. Some people are bullied for no reason.

Find out more from Bullying UK


Childline is a free and confidential telephone helpline for children on 0800 11 11.

You can talk to someone on Childline who may be able to give you advice and get you help. They will not tell anyone that you have called.


Meet other young carers

Meeting up with other young carers is a great way to make new friends, have some fun and share some of your worries with people in similar situations to your own.

Young carers projects can help you have a break from home, plus meeting other young carers can help you to relax. Young carers projects may offer evening clubs, weekends away, days out and even holidays, as well as friendly advice and information for you and for your family.

The Children's Society runs the Young Carers Festival and funds projects for young carers.

KIDS is an organisation specially for carers under the age of 18. It runs regular clubs where you can meet other young carers as well as offering support, advice and information.

Action for Children can put you in touch with other young carers. It also has free places for young carers at its residential activity camps.

If you're worried about your own mental health, you can find support through the children and young people's mental health services (CYPMHS). There are services all over the country helping young people with mental health conditions.

Macmillan nurses from the national charity Macmillan Cancer Support can help people who are affected by cancer and young carers. They provide a range of medical and emotional support for people who have cancer, and their families.

Other organisations that can help young carers

Citizens Advice has information on money, benefits and your rights.

The National Careers Service has a helpline, webchat and email service about education and careers for teenagers. Support is also available up to the age of 25 for those who have learning difficulties or disabilities.


Get in touch with Carers Direct

For advice and support with caring issues over the phone, call the Carers Direct helpline on 0300 123 1053.

If you're deaf, deafblind, hard of hearing or have impaired speech, you can contact the Carers Direct helpline using textphone or minicom number 0300 123 1004.



Social Prescribing Service

Life Style Advisor

Parent Carer Forum

Download the Jan/Feb Covid Special 2021 Caring News here.

Carer's assessments

If you care for someone, you can have an assessment to see what might help make your life easier. This is called a carer's assessment.

It might recommend things like:

  • someone to take over caring so you can take a break
  • gym membership and exercise classes to relieve stress
  • help with taxi fares if you don't drive
  • help with gardening and housework
  • training how to lift safely
  • putting you in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to
  • advice about benefits for carers

A carer's assessment is free and anyone over 18 can ask for one.

It's separate from the needs assessment the person you care for might have, but you can ask to have them both done at the same time.

How to get a carer's assessment

Contact adult social services at your local council and ask for a carer's assessment.

If you're a parent carer or a child, contact the children with disabilities department.

You can call or do it online.

What happens in the carer's assessment

Someone from the council, or an organisation the council works with, will ask how you're coping with caring.

This includes how it affects your physical and mental health, work, free time and relationships.

The assessment is usually face to face. Some councils can do it over the phone or online.

Assessments usually last at least an hour.

How to prepare for your carer's assessment

You'll need:

  • your NHS number (if you have one)
  • your GP's name, address and phone number
  • contact details of anyone who's coming to the assessment with you
  • the name, address, date of birth and NHS number of the person you care for (if you have it)
  • your email address

Give as much detail as you can about the impact caring for someone is having on your life. This willl help make sure you get all the help and support you need.

Which? Later Life Care has a checklist of questions to help you prepare for a carer's assessment, regardless of your age.

Have someone with you

It can help if you have someone with you during the assessment. This could be the person you care for, a friend or relative.

You could also use an advocate. Advocates are people who speak up on your behalf.

They can help you fill in forms and sit with you in meetings and assessments. They're often free.

Find an advocate in your area

Telephone help

If you want to talk to someone about carer's assessments, call:

Getting the results

You'll usually get the results of the assessment within a week.

If you qualify for help from the council, they'll write a care and support plan with you that sets out how they can help.

Help with costs

Your council might be able to help with the costs. You might need a financial assessment (means test) first. This will be arranged for you after the carer’s assessment.

You might also qualify for benefits for carers that can help with costs.

If you don't qualify for help from your council

If you're told you don't qualify for help and support, your council should give you free advice about where you can get help in your community. Ask if this doesn't happen.

How to complain about a carer's assessment

If you disagree with the results of your carer's assessment or how it was done, you can complain.

First complain to your local council. Your council should have a formal complaints procedure on its website. You should also be told about how to complain at your assessment.

If you're not happy with the way the council handles your complaint, you can take it to the local government and social care ombudsman. An ombudsman is an independent person who's been appointed to look into complaints about organisations.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website